Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Tofurkey Day!

Ahh I love the Holidays and the 10lbs I will gain..not! But I do love the holidays.



This year for thanksgiving I have decided to make a tofurkey. After finding these soy based roasts at the Mustardseed our local organic and health food store I have been looking forward to cooking one of these up all year!

Back in my meat eating days, turkey wasn't that good. It was dry and I didn't particularly car for it. I cant lie I desperately miss the flavor of my moms holiday ham. Hopefully a company comes out with a vegetarian something or other that tastes similar. So I have read many posts about cooking the Tofurkey in the oven and it becoming dry and over cooked .

Anyways I will be cooking my Tofurkey in a Crockpot......

For any of you attempting this for the first time also I am putting the recipe up that I will be using to hopefully make this taste better than real Turkey.

Tofurkey Crockpot Recipe


Ingedients:
1 Tofurkey
1 16 oz container of vegtable broth
1 Sweet Onion
2 Potatoes
1 small bag of carrots
mushrooms
1 Apple
1 package of onion soup mix
Basil
Sage
Pepper
Salt
Butter

Let Tofurkey thaw over night. When Ready to prep remove plastic encasing. Place Tofurkey in crockpot, make a spice rub with a couple tablespoons of butter and spices, season to you liking. Rub Tofurkey with spice rub.

Dice potatoes, halve mushrooms, and cut onion into large chuncks. Add as much vegetables as you want place vegtables around Tofurkey. In bowl combine onion soup mix with vegetable broth, add to crockpot.

Cook for 2 1/2  to 3 hours

This is just how I am going to make mine there are tons of recipes online, hopefully it will turn out well! I am also making a vegetable medley with broccoli and cauliflower instead of the same old green bean casserole.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and thanks for reading!




UPDATE:
Tofukey was Amazing!! Tasted better than normal dried up turkey. I wish there were more leftovers still because it was sooooo good. I will most definitely be heading to the store and picking up more. This will most likely become a regular meal. It took like 5 minutes to prep and sat in the roaster for 3 hrs. I want some now :( I highly recommend it to anyone even if you eat meat. I was shocked at how it tasted like legit turkey and the texture was exactly like meat. You could fool anyone if you didn't tell them it was real meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment